Make doesn't bail on compile errors

From: Michael L Brown
Subject: Make doesn't bail on compile errors
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 15:42:05 -0500

I've tried searching the archive, but can't find exactly what I am looking

Here is an example from a MAKELOG:

ObjPinnacle.c:15385: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
ObjPinnacle.c:15385: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[5]: *** [../../lib/-sparc/libmain.a(ObjPinnacle.o)] Error 1
make[5]: Leaving directory
make[4]: Leaving directory
make[4]: Entering directory
architecture is set to (-sparc)
making models as ../../lib/-sparc/libmodels.a
make[5]: Entering directory

The OS is Solaris 8 on a sparc platform, or Solaris 10 on x86 (Opteron)
gmake is version: 3.79.1

As can be seen, where there is a compilation error, make reports the
error, but does not stop.

What does it take to get make to report back an exit error status all the
way back to the script that called make, so that the compilation process
is stopped?

Mike Brown (address@hidden)
            Lotus Bloats: Michael L Brown/MSN/MS/PHILIPS
Philips Medical, Fitchburg, WI
Desk: 608-288-6969  Fax: 608-298-2101
PMS direct: 164-6969
You design it, I'll build it!