Re: COMPILE.c

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: COMPILE.c
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 16:09:07 -0600

On 3/26/07, David Greene <address@hidden> wrote:
Does make define a variable named COMPILE.c?  I have a Makefile
that uses it but I don't see it defined anywhere.  I don't see
it mentioned in the info docs (3.81).

Yes, GNU make has such a variable.  The info pages mention it on the
"Catalogue of Rules" page:
       However, the commands in built-in implicit rules actually use
       variables such as `COMPILE.c', `LINK.p', and `PREPROCESS.S', whose
       values contain the commands listed above.

If make does define this, are similar variables available for
C++, Fortran, etc.?

Yes.  IMHO, the simplest way to see all the variables and rules that
are predefined is to examine the (copious) output of  "make -pq -f
/dev/null"

Philip Guenther