Re: Fun with auto generated dependencies & clean...

From: Rick Flower
Subject: Re: Fun with auto generated dependencies & clean...
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 17:32:12 -0700

Greg Chicares wrote:
On 2007-04-19 22:46Z, Rick Flower wrote:
I'm using some pretty old compilers (gcc-2.95.3 for ppc and gcc-2.9 for
pentium) and both seem to handle -MMD properly and generate the
requisite .d files, but neither version knows anything about -MF or -MT
so I guess I'll have to do without..

Here are some notes I wrote when switching from '-MD' to '-MMD':

# Subsequent change: now '-MMD' is used. It was measured to improve
# build speed by five or ten percent over '-MD'. It would be dangerous
# to use with any preprocessor older than gcc-3.x's: the documentation
# for gcc-2.95's preprocessor says it treats
#   #include <my_own_header_included_with_angle_brackets.hpp>
# as a system file, which would be most undesirable [...]
[because some third-party code uses angle brackets internally]

Thanks.. I'll keep that in mind.. In our case all of our code uses quotes to include locally developed stuff.. Regardless, I'll keep an eye out for any issues related to this or odd path issues. Thanks for the heads-up!