Re: linking at run time problem

From: Brian Dessent
Subject: Re: linking at run time problem
Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 18:46:19 -0700

g-h-d wrote:

> /Debug/testing_hal: error while loading shared libraries: libhal_base.so.0:
>
> Attempt #2 compiles but not #1, so i deduce that adding -lhal_base is
> probably a good idea, but i still have a runtime error. The incriminated
> file libhal_base.so.0 does reside in the specified library specified by -L
> i.e. /usr/local/lib. Any explanation with the subtleties of linking and/or
> perhaps suggestion for my particular problem would be appreciated. Thanks!

This is rather offtopic for this mailing list because it's not a
question about usage of make, it's a question about how to use the
compiler/linker.  The fact that you're using a Makefile is just
incidental.

In order for the dynamic linker to be able to find the .so file at
runtime, you either need to use -rpath / -R when linking, or set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  The former is the preferred way.  Google for details.

Brian