Is there something grep like in make besides the findstring function?

From: Randy Kao
Subject: Is there something grep like in make besides the findstring function?
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:26:10 -0700

I'm trying to check to see if an application is installed in the rules section of a target.

In my case, I'm checking for doxygen.

But I'm currently having issues doing this using findstring.

When using findstring, it seems as though the whole string has to match before it will consider it a match.

The only problem is that the string I'm searching on is "command not found". But depending on the shell you run it in, the stuff before command not found might look like:

bash: doxygen: command not found

or

sh: doxygen: command not found

Is there any easier way of accomplishing my end goal?

Thanks,
Randy