RE: Writing a program to be executed from Make and participate in thejob

From: Dave Korn
Subject: RE: Writing a program to be executed from Make and participate in thejob server protocol
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 11:42:32 +0100

On 19 July 2007 03:10, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> It's not so much overhead that concerns me, as setup and teardown
> operations (done by the controller, once per testsuite run) and
> keeping the logfiles sane.  Also, enumerating the set of test cases
> and turning them into makefile targets would render the makefile
> itself dependent on compiling the entire program in unit tests mode.
> I don't think that's going to work well (never mind whether the user
> *wanted* to build the program with -DUNIT_TESTS; it does double the
> build time)

  Righto.  Well, you want to use a '+' at the start of the command lines that
invoke the test controller, and make will then pass it all the MAKEFLAGS,
including a variant -j option with fds for the read and write sides of the
jobserver pipe.

  Paul's website is down at the moment, but have you read the jobserver page
there?  It's available through web archive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20070109093933/make.paulandlesley.org/jobserver.html

    cheers,
      DaveK