Re: installing

From: Kristof Provost
Subject: Re: installing
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 14:01:23 +0200

On 2007-07-31 18:01:37 (-0400), George Gunter <address@hidden> wrote:
> there must be 20 files in the folder what do you download to get this to work?
> and is it a zip file? because when I change the extension it tells me there
> are
> no file to unzip? Is there instructions some where on how to install this,
> there is plenty on how to use it.
>
> kip

The file is probably a tar.gz file, containing the source code (and
related makefiles & configure scripts). This is the traditional method
of software distribution on Unix systems.
Installing it is as simple as './configure && make && sudo make
install'.

If you're on a windows platform (as I suspect you are) it's a little
harder. You'll probably want to get a binary package. Your best bet is
to look at Cygwin, which contains a prebuilt make along with a lot of
other Unix tools. It also comes with a nice point&click installer.

Regards,
Kristof