RE: Help: I'm lost in Makefile wasteland

From: Leeuwesteijn, Joost
Subject: RE: Help: I'm lost in Makefile wasteland
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2007 09:01:14 +0200

> I have a build system that is a legacy holdover from the
> forgotten mists of time (nobody at the company has any idea
> how it all works).

Been there, done that... :-) I ended up rewriting it all to GNU make.
Works perfectly now.

> Instead of going through the hundred or so nested directories
> and makefiles I decided to let the old packages build
> normally and simply add a new rule to the top level Makefile
> to build RPM's.
> [...]
> (rpmbuild does a lot of stuff but the main thing
> is that it builds the package from source. ie it calls make
> during its execution).

I can't help you with the error, sorry. Someone else on this list
probably will 'cause people are very helpful in here I found out.

But when I read this, I was thinking it might be possible to build it
the normal way and then somehow convert the existing deliverables to an
RPM using a separate target, or maybe makefile even? Unpack the Java
stuff in a temp directory and then re-package them to RPM. Saves you a
second build from source. Would that be an option?

Just my EUR 0.02...

--
Joost Leeuwesteijn

---

This communication contains confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient please return this email to the sender and delete it from
your records.

Diese Nachricht enthält vertrauliche Informationen. Sollten Sie nicht der
beabsichtigte Empfänger dieser E-mail sein, senden Sie bitte diese an den
Absender zurück und löschen Sie die E-mail aus Ihrem System.