Re: Help: I'm lost in Makefile wasteland

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Help: I'm lost in Makefile wasteland
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 09:08:07 -0400

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 16:33 -0400, Michael Dengler wrote:
> If I call make from a perl script I get:
>
> GNUMake: ***multiple target patterns : Stop
>
> and the build exits.

Please always provide the EXACT error message you received, character
for character (cut and paste into the email is best).

It's hard to say what's wrong here without more info.  Are you sure that
your Perl script is invoking make from the right directory?  Are there
any other flags you need to pass to make?  What is the command line
you're using for make?

This error means that there is a syntax error in the makefile make is
reading, such that make sees a static pattern rule with multiple target
patterns, which is invalid (see the GNU make manual for the syntax of
static pattern rules).

This can be because your filenames contain ":" characters, which is
illegal in general.  Or because your filenames contain "%" characters,
which require special escaping.

However, since the error message had no makefile or linenumber
information, it's very odd because it seems like make is reading from
stdin or something similar.