Re: someone make me understand make please

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: someone make me understand make please
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 19:55:11 -0400

On Sun, 2007-08-05 at 23:26 +0100, Martin Knappe wrote:
> Thanks! That did the trick. I still don't understand make though; I
> really would like too. Where are these things described? There are a
> couple make tutorials on the net, but as I see it, they all don't go
> beyond very simple things. Then there is this O'Reilly book about
> make, but I'm not sure if it's any good. The make manual is definitely
> not very instructive :-(

The O'Reilly book is good (the newer one, about GNU make specifically).

Personally I think the GNU make manual is pretty good, but I'm probably
biased ;-).  However others have also said so.  Everything I did in my
examples is described in the manual (I assume that's what you meant when
you said "these things").

Maybe if you could explain what exactly you don't understand, for
instance what you don't understand about the solution(s) I provided, or
give us instances of behavior with the attempts you made earlier that
you don't understand.

I really have no answer to a statement as general as "I don't understand
make", except for the obvious: read the manual.  If there are particular
parts of the manual that you don't understand or more specific questions
you still have after reading it, then ask them here and we'll explain
(and maybe we can improve the manual while we do it).