Re: How to get -ldependencies in /usr/local/lib to work

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: How to get -ldependencies in /usr/local/lib to work
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 09:36:23 -0400

On Thu, 2007-08-23 at 19:29 -0700, Patrick Horgan wrote:
> I'm using gnu make 3.81 and for some reason, things like
> file: -lfooburger
> where /usr/local/lib/libfooburger.so exists fail.  Make tells me:
>
> make: *** No rule to make target `-lfooburger`, needed by `file`.  Stop.
>
> The documentation makes me think it should work--i.e. PREFIX should
> be /usr/local/lib, and it would just work.  It works fine for things
> in /usr/lib.  With -d I can see it never looks for it as a library.

Hm.  I'm not sure what to say; it does work for me.  Are you sure that
the library exists with the proper name, if it's a symlink it points to
a real file, that it has the right permissions, etc.?

And you haven't reset the .LIBPATTERNS variable?

 http://www.gnu.org                      http://make.mad-scientist.us