Re: parallel make tools?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: parallel make tools?
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 20:05:34 +0200 (CEST)

> > are there any analysis tools which can be used to find bugs in
> > parallel make runs?
>
> I'm not even really sure what you had in mind.

Well, sometimes it happens during a `make -j3' call in lilypond's make
system that some targets aren't built -- and this make system is
extremely complicated...

> Something that has been requested in the past is a mode that will
> randomize or reverse prerequisite lists to help test different
> parallel make configurations.  At the moment there's nothing like
> that available however.

This would be an improvement, however, I've hoped that some analysis
tool exists which presents the dependencies as a graph or something
like that, probably pointing to possible pitfalls.

    Werner