Re: Why doesn't this work properly?

From: Brian Dessent
Subject: Re: Why doesn't this work properly?
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:34:31 -0700

Rick Flower wrote:

> Does that mean that it was really only invoking the shell once for the
> entire string

Yes, make tried to run the command "ln -s . ln -s .".

> -- now the string is basically "ln -s <foo> . ; ln -s <bar> ."
> or similar?  I guess that's a bit different than I was expecting.. I might

Now make is doing the equivalent of:

sh -c "ln -s .; ln -s .;"

make still only sees it as one command and only invokes one shell to run
it, but the shell sees it as multiple commands because that is what ;
means to the shell.

> also play around w/ using $(shell) as well..

I don't see why that would be necessary.