Re: GMAKE 3.81 versus 3.80

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: GMAKE 3.81 versus 3.80
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 22:22:24 +0300

> Cc: address@hidden
> From: Bhaskar G <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:48:55 +0530
>
> This is the exact command line that I am using. If I remove the echo (in
> bold) part from the command then the command succeeds.

Your command is more than 19K characters, it is dangerously close to
where you could hit the limit of the shell and/or the OS.

> /cygdrive/e/mvcyg4.0/bin/sh: -c: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for
> matching `''

cygdrive?  Are you using Cygwin programs (like Bash and GCC) with a
native Windows build of Make 3.81?  Or is that a Cygwin build of Make?

If the former, I strongly suggest not to mix Cygwin and non-Cygwin
programs, as they are subtly incompatible, especially in marginal
situations such as this one.

If the latter, then this could be a known issue with Cygwin, so I'd
suggest to post this to the Cygwin mailing list.