Re: debugging parallel make

From: Dan McMahill
Subject: Re: debugging parallel make
Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 11:01:01 -0500

Paul Smith wrote:
On Sun, 2008-01-06 at 02:05 -0500, Dan McMahill wrote:
I'm looking for something along the lines of

[slot1] cc -c file1.c
[slot2] cc -c file2.c
[slot2] cc -c file3.c
[slot1] cc -c file4.c

where the [slot1] and [slot2] indicate which job slot is being fed a command.

You can't, because make doesn't keep a list of slots like this.  You can
read more details about how the jobserver works on my website below, but
in short make reads a single character token from a pipe and when it
gets one, that allows make to run a job.  All the tokens look exactly
the same so there's no way for make to know which slot is being used.

so is there any other way to figure out what commands are being run at the same time vs. sequentially?

Thanks
-Dan