Re: make failing, tabs are fine, missing separator

From: Russell King
Subject: Re: make failing, tabs are fine, missing separator
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 11:16:01 -0500

I did take out the extra line.  I get an error:

make: *** No rule to make target `(cd', needed by `all'.  Stop.

russ

On Jan 9, 2008 9:23 AM, Dave Korn < address@hidden> wrote:
On 09 January 2008 02:31, Russell King wrote:

> Trying to do make on the app is failing.  Tabs for make files are good.  I
> am getting the following errors:
>
> Makefile:23: *** missing separator.  Stop.
>
> This happens right after the line:
>
> all:
>
>     (cd src;$(MAKE))
>
> in ./Makefile.

 You left a blank line between the target and the rules.  That acts as a
separator, so make doesn't know your command line is part of the rule; it
thinks it's an entirely new top-level structure, and issues its generic
i-can't-parse-this error message.  Delete the blank line and you should be ok.

   cheers,
     DaveK