Re: Initialization targets

From: Rafael Garabato
Subject: Re: Initialization targets
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 17:02:28 -0200

Ken, Paul,
       thanks for the help!. This is actually a bit more flexible that what I wanted to do so I think that the feature I had in mind won't be necessary.

On Jan 16, 2008 4:07 PM, Paul Smith < address@hidden> wrote:
On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 16:02 -0200, Rafael Garabato wrote:
> However, if I execute "make all", wouldn't this execute the always
> rule twice. Once for dep1 and once for dep2?

However, note that Ken's idea won't work so well.

By creating "always" as a prerequisite, and making it .PHONY, it means
that "always" is always out of date.

That means that everything that depends on "always" is also always out
of date.

Which means make will rebuild these things every single time.

You could try using order-only prerequisites, instead of simple
prerequisites.  See the GNU make manual.

 Paul D. Smith <address@hidden>                 http://make.mad-scientist.us
 "Please remain calm--I may be mad, but I am a professional."--Mad Scientist