running parallel make jobs and avoiding jumbled/garbled output?

From: Per Jessen
Subject: running parallel make jobs and avoiding jumbled/garbled output?
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:55:50 +0100

I use "make -jN" quite a lot for parallelizing many jobs (all kinds, not
just compile jobs).  The output is obviously jumbled, and it's not
really very useful as such.  I don't mind that - I usually finish off
such a parallel run with a single job that logs the status of the rest.
However, when I run such a parallel make via cron, the output is not
just jumbled, it's garbled.  Lines are overwritten, lines are mixed,
lines are missing, in particular my final status output.  Has anyone
else experienced this and what have you done about it (if anything) ?

/Per Jessen, Zürich