Re: running parallel make jobs and avoiding jumbled/garbled output?

From: Per Jessen
Subject: Re: running parallel make jobs and avoiding jumbled/garbled output?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 08:56:55 +0100

Per Jessen wrote:

> I use "make -jN" quite a lot for parallelizing many jobs (all kinds,
> not just compile jobs).  The output is obviously jumbled, and it's not
> really very useful as such.  I don't mind that - I usually finish off
> such a parallel run with a single job that logs the status of the
> rest. However, when I run such a parallel make via cron, the output is
> not
> just jumbled, it's garbled.  Lines are overwritten, lines are mixed,
> lines are missing, in particular my final status output.  Has anyone
> else experienced this and what have you done about it (if anything) ?

I'm beginning to think this problem is about more than just garbled
output.  We do a daily run of about 5000 jobs, each involving 4-5
files+dependencies and associated commands.  This works just fine when
run one-by-one.  This weekend we switched to using -j4 to speed up
things, but I've just now had to revert to one-by-one mode.

I've not yet investigated the problem, but when running with -j4, a lot
of the jobs were simply not run or only partially done. I'm not
entirely certain about how to track this down - your thoughts would be
much appreciated.

/Per Jessen, Zürich