Re: MAKEFLAGS var does not show "-j" param ???

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MAKEFLAGS var does not show "-j" param ???
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 21:40:17 +0200

> From: Paul Smith <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:35:25 -0400
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 15:26 +0100, Fabrice GIRARDOT wrote:
> > It seems that the MAKEFLAGS variable does not always
> > show the "-j" option given to make on its command line.
>
> > I'm using GNU make 3.81 built for Win32.
>
> As far as I recall, parallel make is not supported on MS Windows
> systems.

Not entirely true: the MS-Windows port does support parallel
execution, but it does not support the "job server" method.
Therefore, Make invokes sub-Make's with the "-j 1" switch.

To work around, invoke the sub-Make's with an explicit "-j N" switch
(you will need to figure out the argument N yourself).

Alternatively, volunteer to make the job server work on Windows ;-)