Re: Dynamic top-level targets

From: Timothy Reilly
Subject: Re: Dynamic top-level targets
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:02:37 -0400

On Thursday 12 June 2008 14:44:49 Garrett Cooper wrote:

> I'm not sure that the pattern rules will match as you have specified
> above though; you'd probably have to have the ability to do "front" as
> well as "rear" pattern matching. I don't believe that function is
> available in make at all.

It's clear that the pattern matching doesn't work- if it did, I wouldn't be
asking this list.  My question is /why/ this isn't working.  It's not clear
to me why this fails to work while suffix matching for defining my own
implicit rules works.  --v

> Why do that though if you can specify compile options via conditionals
> in make, like ifeq, if, etc, and manipulate the target name via $(if
> ...)? Seems like a simpler solution to the issue...

Because I didn't know about $(if ... )
How would one refer to the target before having matched any rules?  Does the
builtin $@ get set?

Timothy Reilly