Automatic prerequisites Vs targets

From: nidujay
Subject: Automatic prerequisites Vs targets
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2008 12:50:42 +1000

Hi,

I use the technique described in section 4.14 to automatically
generate pre-requisites. At the end of the Makefile I include the
dependencies as:

-include $(CDEP) $(SDEP)

One thing I noticed is that the dependency files are generated even
when the target doesn't require them (e.g. make clean).

Is this expected behaviour or have I made a mistake somewhere?

I'm using the following version of gnu Make:

GNU Make version 3.78.1, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Built for Windows32

Thanks in advance

Dushara