setting a make "include" path right from the get-go

From: Robert P. J. Day
Subject: setting a make "include" path right from the get-go
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 08:35:55 -0500 (EST)

  i realize this is a trivial question but i just want to be
absolutely sure i'm doing this the right way.

  i have a sizable recursive make structure and i want to add
"include"s in various makefiles to pull in useful "utility" makefiles
in various places.

  i know the proper way to do that is to use the "-I" option on the
make invocation.  now, if my *top* level Makefile doesn't need to do
any includes, i'm fairly sure i can set the include search path in
that makefile, then use ${MAKE} from there on to make sure everyone
below picks up the search path.

  if the top-level makefile *does* need that include search path, my
idea was to alias "make" to "make -I..." so that one doesn't need to
keep typing that option explicitly.

  is that about right?  or is there a more elegant way to do this?
thanks.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.