Re: setting a make "include" path right from the get-go

From: Robert P. J. Day
Subject: Re: setting a make "include" path right from the get-go
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 09:21:46 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Paul Smith wrote:

> On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 13:20 +0100, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

> (actually, i wrote this bit, not sam:)

> > p.s.  as a top-level solution, i can set up the alias
> >
> >   alias mymake="make -I..."
> >
> > and tell everyone to use "mymake" from now on, so that's how i
> > could get my includes into that top-level makefile.  but it's the
> > subsequent propagation through all submakes that is still an
> > issue.
>
> ??? Why is this an issue?  Make always propagates all options like
> this to sub-makes automatically.  This will work fine as long as you
> invoke your sub-makes with the variable $(MAKE) rather than
> hardcoded "make". Have you actually tried this?

  i didn't try it because i was going off what i read in ORA's book on
make where they explain the value of using the MAKE variable, and it
mentions nothing about passing that particular option, so i assumed it
didn't. if it actually does, then that solves the problem.

  i'll test that shortly.  thanks.

rday
--

p.s.