Re: make options

From: Philip Guenther
Subject: Re: make options
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:52:26 -0800

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 6:25 AM, Michael Slootsky <address@hidden> wrote:
> I use 'make' many years include usage of options which don't present in
> manual's synopsis and aren't described in any document: 'config',
> 'menuconfig', 'oldconfig', 'modules-install', 'dep', 'clean' etc. All my
> attempts to find out complete  official definitions of these non-synopsis
> options failed.
>
> Would you like to hint were I can get the information?

The GNU make info pages have a section "Makefile Conventions" that has
a section on the 'standard' targets.  I also seem to recall a GNU
development style guide somewhere on the FSF website.  Browsing
www.gnu.org may be a good place to search.

Those don't or won't cover all the ones you list, in part because many
of those are specific to the Linux kernel build.  For those, the Linux
kernel build documentation would be the place to look.

Philip Guenther