Re: Maximizing Library Build Parallelism

From: Christophe LYON
Subject: Re: Maximizing Library Build Parallelism
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 16:29:53 +0100

On 13.01.2009 16:12, EXT-Pennington, Dale K wrote:
Folks,

I am using gmake 3.80 and an AIX 6.1 system. We are working to upgrade
our make setup to allow us to use the -j option whereever we can to
speed up builds.

The particular issue is libraries. The make manuals warns about building
parts of a library in parallel because multiple processes attemping ar
commands on the same archive at the same time might corrupt said
archive.

why wouldn't you use a single library rule, such as:
mylib.a: $(OBJS)
        ar cr $@ $^

This way, your $OBJS can be built in parallel, while the library can be built only once all objects are ready.

Christophe.