Re: parallel and recursive make

From: Ethan Tira-Thompson
Subject: Re: parallel and recursive make
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 08:56:41 -0400

sub/bar.h: sub ;

That's enough to force make to recheck whether the timestamp on the
target has changed

Ah ha!  Thanks, that does the trick.

FWIW, I have a line like this:

%.d: | sub
        $(CXX) $(CXXFLAGS) -MP -MG -MT "$@" -MT "$*.o" -MM "$*.cc" > "$@"

...which in my mind, the '| sub' order-only pre-requisite should have also delayed the timestamp check of the other pre-requisites (sub/ bar.h) until after 'sub' is built. It does successfully delay building them after all, and it seems intuitive the timestamp check (and decision whether to build) should happen right before it's actually going to build them. (maybe there's a good reason why that can't be done, just pointing out why it tripped me up)

Thanks again!
  -Ethan