Re: White Space Problems--Again

From: Tom Browder
Subject: Re: White Space Problems--Again
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 17:30:14 -0500

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 5:18 PM, Stephan Beal
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Tom Browder <address@hidden> wrote:
> While i do find the non-trimming behaviour odd on the surface, it
> really is the only "generically correct" solution. i have indeed had
> cases where this caused me Grief, and have in fact had one case where
> it was just what i needed (it's the only way to get a token comprised
> only of spaces).  It is, whether we like it or not, documented and

Steve,

Can you give me an example of using a token of spaces in a Makefile?
I'm really having a hard time seeing why it would be proscribed in
POSIX, too.  I'm used to quoting a token if I want embedded spaces
(and the use of spaces for structure in Python is one of the reasons I
can't get excited about Python, nor do I like spaces in filenames).

Regards,

-Tom