Pattern rules with directories

From: Christophe LYON
Subject: Pattern rules with directories
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 10:31:28 +0200

Hello,

I have a project where the Makefile has simple rules such as:

%.suf1: %.suf2
        $(CMDPATH)/cmd

where the target is actually /path/to/dir1.

Now, I need to add a dependency to a file which is not in /path/to/dir1, so
%.suf1: %.suf2 %.suf3
won't match.

I think using vpath won't help either.

I usually avoid using paths in target names, but unfortunately I am not the one who originally wrote the whole build system :-(

What is the suggested way of handling such cases?

Thanks,
Christophe.