Help redirecting DOS command output to gmake environment

From: Varambally, Dheeraj B
Subject: Help redirecting DOS command output to gmake environment
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 16:05:35 -0700

Hi,

I’m trying to execute a DOS perl script as part of the gmake rule and I would like to redirect the text output of the perl script into a gmake variable that will be used in the subsequent command in the same rule. Is there an easy way to do it as I’m unable to access the text from gmake command.

Here is how my rule is supposed to look:

Target : prereq

              VAR:= $(shell  Perl myperl.pl )

             $( CC)  prereq –D$(VAR)

VAR:= $(shell  Perl myperl.pl ) is valid if executed outside the gmake rule but I is there any equivalent way to achieve it in the gmake rule itself?

Thanks

Dheeraj