Re: how to create a single rule to build a directory as necessary

From: Kristof Provost
Subject: Re: how to create a single rule to build a directory as necessary
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 20:17:52 +0200

On 2009-09-22 11:44:21 (-0400), Sam Steingold <address@hidden> wrote:
>  Kristof Provost wrote:
>> [Dead links]
Hmm, it looks like CM crossroads reworked their website.
You can now find the 'Ask Mr. Make' column here:
http://www.cmcrossroads.com/cm-articles/columns/ask-mr-make

>  I, too, am struggling with rebuilding a directory.
>  it appears that the rule:
>
>  gllib: config.status
>       mkdir -p gllib; cd gllib; make
>
>  is wrong because the script "mkdir ..." is always executed, regardless of
>  whether config.status has changed or not.
>  So, what is the right way to handle this?

I can't really tell why the gllib rule is always executed. If the
config.status file is older than the gllib directory it shouldn't be.
The '$?' variable might help you debug this problem. It contains the names of
all
the prerequisites that are newer than the target.

Regards.
Kristof