Re: Matching subdirectories in patterns?

From: Roy Stogner
Subject: Re: Matching subdirectories in patterns?
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 11:47:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009, CHEN Cheng wrote:

I'm sorry that a mistake needs to be corrected.

No, thank you; the mistake was mine:

As the manual (section 10.8) says, if there is a slash in the pattern,
then the full path name will be matched. So the solution shall be:

all: figs/experiment1/results.pdf figs/experiment2/results.pdf

figs/%.pdf : rawfigs/%.eps
 mkdir -p $(dir $@)
 epstopdf -o=$@ $<

I was quite confused, because this appears to be nearly identical to
my first (non-working) solution.  But after setting up some similar
cases for testing, it turned out that make was indeed matching full
path names correctly in the pattern; the real bug in my Makefile was
that the same user who first tried to use a non-flat rawfigs/
directory also tried to use a vector graphics format for which I
didn't have a pattern set up.  Fixing that, everything works!

Thanks again for the help,
---
Roy