how can gnu make return 2 and not show any errors?

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: how can gnu make return 2 and not show any errors?
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 09:43:06 -0700

Hello,

How can it be – my gnu make is returning 2 but does not show any errors.  I am using –include directive, but I checked and indeed, if make ignores errors because of –include, then it returns 0, as it should.

So what else could it be?  (I can’t send you a short example, I can’t find the short example that would do that, and the makefile I am working with is in excess of 10000 lines).

Mark