a really dumb question: why doesn't "echo %ERRORLEVEL%" work?

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: a really dumb question: why doesn't "echo %ERRORLEVEL%" work?
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 17:01:51 -0700

Hello,  I RTFMd gnu make manual carefully, and all I found on how make executes
commands, is that it just passes them to the shell, it does not know anything
about how the shell executes them.

OK, so I am on the Windows XP shell, and I have this makefile:

                echo %ERRORLEVEL%

Now here is what I see at my shell prompt if I execute this command by hand:

D:\tmp>echo %ERRORLEVEL%

But when I try to execute this command through make, I see something else:

D:\tmp>make foobar

Why??  How to do it so that make really passes the command as is??