Re: How to specify a dependence on a directory?

From: John Calcote
Subject: Re: How to specify a dependence on a directory?
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:15:41 -0700

On 11/20/2009 4:18 PM, Peng Yu wrote:
On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 5:11 PM, David Boyce<address@hidden>  wrote:
On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 5:42 PM, Peng Yu<address@hidden>  wrote:
Is there way to specify a dependence on a directory?

directory: somefile
  some_command

If any file in 'directory' is older than 'somefile', then I want to
run 'some_command'. I'm wondering how to do this.
Then you don't want a dependence on a directory. You want to depend on
the full set of files _within_ the directory, a very different thing.
I suspect $(wildcard $(dir)/*) is what you want.
But if there are no files in the directory, I still want some_command
to run. How to do it?

In that case, you don't want $(wildcard $(dir)/*). Rather, you want an explicit list of files you expect to find in that directory after the commands are executed.

John