What's the meaning of X_ARCH :sh= /usr/bin/arch

From: Xu Yufeng (xyufeng)
Subject: What's the meaning of X_ARCH :sh= /usr/bin/arch
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 2009 10:34:56 +0800

Hi,
I'm using make on Solaris. I found lots of ":sh=" in Makefiles from an old project. I guess it means to invoke the shell command and return the value to a variable but it does not work. I searched the manual and google but only found that it can be done with $(shell ...). Replacing all of them is a big effort and moreover I'm not quite sure about it. Could anybody help me out?

Thanks,
Xu