Re: creating multiple outputs with a tool in one step

From: Oleksandr Gavenko
Subject: Re: creating multiple outputs with a tool in one step
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:59:49 +0200

On 2010.01.24 16:04, James McElhannon wrote:
> Suppose I have a file A that is dependent on B and C.  I have a tool,
> mytool, that can create B and C at one time from their respective
> sources. When making A, I would want make to do "mytool B C" as one of
> its steps.

Sorry GNU make does not support this directly.

I suggest you read "Managing Projects with GNU Make".

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596006105

In this book on chapter about Java writted that calling

$ java file_1.java
$ java file_n.java

get too long time, but "java" command support syntax

$ java @file-list

where in file-list listen all *.java in your project.

So do:

compile-java: javafile
    java @$< --output $(dist-dir)

javafile: $(wildcard *.java)