how to allow multiple empty commands?

From: Mark Galeck (CW)
Subject: how to allow multiple empty commands?
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 21:45:56 -0800

Hello,

I would like to have this:

foobar:;

and make not complain about it (of course this is a SSCCE so please don’t ask  “why do you need this”).

Is there a way to do this?  My attempts are below:

First, I thought I would do

.\foobar:;

.\foobar:;

since there is an obscure rule mentioned in the manual, that says in case of multiple commands for files starting with a “.”, make would not complain.  But it still does !  why is the rule not followed??

OK, if this does not work, then maybe I should do:

foobar::;

foobar::;

but this seems not so great, because it seems from the manual, that make would actually go around and execute all these empty commands (you realize that I have thousands of them in the realistic example, and thousands of such targets, so the speed matters, I think).  Would it?

Thank you,

Mark