Re: where to start?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: where to start?
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 20:03:27 -0400

On Sat, 2010-03-20 at 16:17 -0700, Tool wrote:
> Since i started learning UNIX lately i heard make was a powerful tool, so i
> decided to learn it.
> But i know little, basicaly almost nothing about it except it has to do with
> cc command from the terminal.
> So i was wandering where to start and where to find some beginner-friendly
> tutorials and after tutorials an book. I allready have "Managing projects
> with GNU make, 3rd edition", but i cant really seem to follow the contents.
> My background knowledge is K&R2 only, nothing else (whole book).

Well, the first thing to know is that make is not only about running
"cc" (the C compiler).  It's about how to update files from other files,
when the latter change.  One very common example is to recompile C files
using "cc" when the C files change, but that's just one example.

Maybe the GNU make user's manual will be helpful; you can find them at
your local bookstore (if it's a good one) or from the FSF directly
(purchasing copies of FSF books is a good way to support them):

Or you can read it online here: