Re: make file version problem

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: make file version problem
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2010 10:51:05 -0400

Hi Pritam; on technical mailing lists like this we prefer to use inline
quoting rather than top-posting.

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 11:21 +0530, Pritam Nandy wrote:
> sorry having forgot to mention that I'm workin in a windows
> environment and you're right when mentioning that variable expands to
> something like %DIR%/file.c. and what's this IIRC make?

Make variables always only have the format $(DIR) or ${DIR} (these are
equivalent).

You cannot use any other form of variable reference in the target or
prerequisite lists of a makefile.

You can, of course, use whatever you like inside the command scripts
which are passed to the shell.

> I'm usin the make from cygwin by the way. does that mean if I'm usin a
> % in my prerequisite list I should be usin it in the target as well?
> but then, I don't see the same error poppin up when I use make v3.60!!

GNU make 3.60 was released in May of 1991, which is almost 20 years ago.
That version of make had no support whatsoever for Windows or DOS (DOS
support was introduced in version 3.72; Windows in version 3.75) so it
definitely would not support DOS-style variable references.  I don't
have any idea what behavior you're seeing with 3.60.

If you're using cygwin then I don't know why you're trying to use DOS
variable references in the first place: cygwin (I think) provides a
UNIX-like environment on Windows, so you should be using shell variables
I would imagine.

But, I know very little about Windows development environments.  If
you're working with Windows you probably want to be asking questions on
the address@hidden mailing lists: more Windows-based folks hang out
there.