Re: make - library files, archives

From: Stephan Beal
Subject: Re: make - library files, archives
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 17:39:51 +0200

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:03 PM, Payal <address@hidden> wrote:
There are many pages for,
library file (-l switch)
archive files etc.

I am confused, what does that have to do with make exactly? I think that
has more to do with C (or maybe gcc). Am I right?

Historically, make was originally used to compile C programs, which includes making binaries and libraries. Historically, static libraries were called "archives", which is why make calls them that (make itself is very, very old (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Make_(software)). In fact, the static linking program on most Unix systems is called "ar" (as in "archive").

Can I skip those
topics since I am not a C coder?

Absolutely.

--