Re: How to modify algorithm that determines weather a target needs rebui

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: How to modify algorithm that determines weather a target needs rebuild
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 09:19:37 -0400

On Mon, 2010-08-09 at 08:46 -0400, Todd Showalter wrote:
>     I think you'll find if you try this that it mostly works but
> breaks in strange ways every once in a while, and will be completely
> unportable if you try to take it to another platform.  Think about
> what happens, for instance, if you touch a couple of files and the
> clock "ticks" in the middle of the operation.

I think the plan was to use touch's -r option (or -t maybe) to set the
timestamp to a specific time (that is, to the exact same time as the
prereq file), rather than just setting the timestamp to "now".

That should be pretty safe across all kinds of filesystems, but Philip's
question is the pertinent one here: how do you manage targets that have
more than one prerequisite?