Re: add option to generate dependency graph

From: Luke Shumaker
Subject: Re: add option to generate dependency graph
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 22:54:59 -0400

> > > I test the patch,it's great although it has bug.
> >
> > What bug?
>
> I compile cgit project with your patch
>
>     MM ui-tree.d
> obviously the "MM line" doesn't follow dot format

I suppose this is a bug, but I didn't consider it one.  True to make's
behavior, it says what it is doing.  In this case, it is updating the
makefiles;  I assumed it was reasonable to expect that the makefiles be
up-to-date when making the graph.

To trick make into updating the makefiles without updating anything, run
something like:
  make PHONY

However, the updated patch I'm attaching will disable it from updating
the makefiles when creating a graph, but be aware that the graph
generated without the updated makefiles will not be accurate.  For most
makefiles, cgit included, this means that dependencies on header files
will not be included.  Looking at a few, this does make graphs more
interesting.

Note that this new patch is still against the 3.82 release, not my
earlier patch.

~ LukeShu