Re: to know the meaning of makefiles!

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: to know the meaning of makefiles!
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2010 17:52:08 -0400

On Sat, 2010-08-28 at 11:38 +0200, Erik Rull wrote:
> ali hagigat wrote:
> > I tested it Luke, i could not use several files by -f !! make is
> > executed for only one makefile.
> > How you do it?
> > I tested with
> > make -f Makefile -f Makefile2
> > make --file=Makefile --file=Makefile2
> > make --makefile=Makefile --makefile=Makefile2
> >
> > none of them worked for both!!

Perhaps you should get into the habit of describing your testing methods
when declaring something doesn't work.  Using multiple -f options
absolutely does work, I just tested it.

Which means that your test was not valid; if we knew what your test
looked like we could point out your error.

My suspicion is that you expected make to use the first target of EVERY
makefile as a default goal.  But that's not how it works: the first
default target seen is the single default goal, regardless of how many
makefiles you specify.