Re: How to generate a warning if the macro called is not defined?

From: Eric Melski
Subject: Re: How to generate a warning if the macro called is not defined?
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 13:41:08 -0700

Peng Yu wrote:
I call a macro that is not defined. It would not generate any error or
warnings. I looked at the manual section 8.6 "The `call' Function". I
don't see how to enable warnings or errors for such undefined macro.
Could you let me know if it is possible to enable the warnings or
errors for this case?

$(eval $(call nothing, 1))

Add --warn-undefined-variables to your command-line:
$ gmake --warn-undefined-variables
Makefile:1: warning: undefined variable `nothing'
hth,

Eric Melski
http://blog.melski.net/