RE: directory search fails!

From: Hambridge, Philip J (ODP)
Subject: RE: directory search fails!
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 08:52:54 +0100

I've used the manual a great deal in recent years, and have found it to
be one of the most helpful reference documents of the many I encounter.
In my opinion it's a reference document with a friendly feel.

I recall having to read this particular section within the last year,
but do not recall having any real issue with it. I may well have had to
read it a few times. I may well have made up a test case or two. I may
well have scratched my head. But I think that's because we're dealing
with something intrinsically complex, not because the manual is poor.
Hopefully I came out a little wiser as I had put some effort into
understanding it. And after all, this kind of process is partly what
software engineering is all about.

While it may be true that the comments of a relative newcomer may be
helpful in developing improvements, this needs to be kept in check. The
danger is that too much time and detail can be put into explanation &
examples etc., when the real need is for users to carefully think over
and apply the subject matter. There are few real mysteries in software
engineering and those that initially appear to be so, usually yield to a
little careful study and determined experimentation.

Regards,
Philip.