Re: Link called only if all other actions are completed

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Link called only if all other actions are completed
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 20:16:35 +0200

> Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2010 18:24:00 +0200
> From: Erik Rull <address@hidden>
>
> make -j5 all_targets
>
> What happens: all .o's get compiled and only then the linking elements get
> executed one after another (and not simultaneously!). None of the targets
> share .o files.
>
> What I would expect: after all .o's of one target are completed the linker
> of this target should get executed.

Why do you expect that?  Make doesn't arrange its jobs by target; it
just goes out and launches the first 5 jobs it can.  Then, whenever
some job finishes, it launches one more, and so on until all is done.
The order in which the targets are rebuilt is practically
unpredictable, unless you happen to know the exact time it takes each
of the jobs to complete.