Re: make-ing error (making maui-3.3 in FreeBSD 8.0)

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: make-ing error (making maui-3.3 in FreeBSD 8.0)
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 08:36:46 -0500

On Wed, 2010-11-10 at 11:21 +0330, Saeed Abbassi wrote:
> I have configured it successfully.
> Since freebsd uses its own make, i have to gmake here to compile MAUI
> (which compiles easily in Linux) in Freebsd,
>
> The error is
>
> > Makefile:21: *** missing separator.  Stop.
>
> Any hints or comments are helpful,

This isn't a problem with GNU make; it's a problem with the MAUI build
system.  You will get better support by asking on mailing lists for
MAUI.

> @ll_definitions@@sdr_definitions@@pbs_definitions@@sge_definitions@
> @lsf_definitions@@mx_definitions@@pcre_definitions@

This is definitely NOT a valid makefile line, so it's not surprising
make is giving you an error.

I suspect that some part of the build system is supposed to process a
file and generate the Makefile, replacing these tokens with some values,
and it's that processing which is failing (perhaps because some part of
the MAUI build system is expecting some non-standard feature of whatever
tool they use to process the makefile to be present).

In any event, as I said, the MAUI mailing list is where you'll need to
go for assistance.

Good luck!