Re: Get full pathname for file

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: Get full pathname for file
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 12:50:59 -0500

On Sat, 2010-11-20 at 08:58 -0800, MiltonSv wrote:
> I have a variable which contains names of source files, without their
> full paths. Is there a way to expand them to include their pathnames?
> The functions realpath and abspath only seem to prepend the current
> directory to the filenames, which is not what I want.

That's not what realpath does.  The docs say:

`$(realpath NAMES...)'
     For each file name in NAMES return the canonical absolute name.
        [...]

If that's not what you're seeing please provide an example of what
you're doing, what result you got, and what result you expected to get
(and don't forget to specify what system you've built for: this function
wants to use the underlying realpath(3) function but not all operating
systems support it).