Passing environment variables in reciepes

From: Warlich, Christof
Subject: Passing environment variables in reciepes
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 11:29:01 +0100

Hi,

please consider the following makefile:

all:
        @if [ "${USER}" == "" ]; then \
            export message="no user defined"; \
        else \
            export message="user is ${USER}"; \
        fi
        @echo ${message} $${message} $message $$message eval $$message

My problem ist that I cannot find a way to pass data being determined in one
reciepe line to the next reciepe line. Executing the example given above:

$ echo $USER
christof
$ make

yields:

essage eval

So, none of my desperate attempts to expand $message works.

I tried to use environment variables in the example above, which doesn't seem
to work (why?), but there may be better ways ?!

Thanks for any suggestions,

Christof